At T Allen Funeral services we are dedicated to ensuring that we give your loved one a send off that they deserve. A really important part of that send off is to ensure that their final journey is truly personalised to them and the life they led.
We have a professional and sophisticated fleet of funeral vehicles available for the funeral procession, which consists of two hearses and three matching limousines, finished in black or grey. These are a traditional vehicle option and very popular amongst our customers as they are perfect for a smart but modest send off.
However, if you’re looking for an alternative option, we can also provide a Land Rover hearse, and a Daimler hearse.
The Land Rover is a stand alone vehicle, ideal for those who had a love of the outdoors and adventure, or those just looking for something a little different. This vehicle has been converted to make it a safe option for a respectful last journey.
We also have a Daimler hearse available at our funeral homes in Medway. A Daimler hearse is the funeral car that is used most widely throughout the funeral industry, and the most recognised funeral car. We are proud that our very own Daimler Hearse has a great amount of history, first being used for the funeral of Princess Margaret in 2002, at St. George’s Chapel, in the grounds of Windsor Castle. If class and elegance are what you are looking for to honour your loved one, then this would be the perfect fit.
We are pleased to say that we are also able to supply beautiful horse drawn carriages for the funeral procession, via Cooks Carriages. This offers a more traditional way to say goodbye to your loved one. They have 9 black hearses and 2 white hearses available, 6 of which are originals. These can be pulled by either a pair, or a team of 4 or 6 horses. To find out more information please visit www.cookscarriages.co.uk.
For more information on our fleet, or to discuss which vehicle would best suit your needs, please get in contact with one of our helpful team members today.
The Historic Daimler Hearse
On the 50th anniversary of the burial in St. George’s Chapel of her father, King George VI, the Queen’s younger sister, who died aged 71, was given her funeral service in the same surroundings, before her body was driven the eight miles to Slough Crematorium for a municipal cremation.
This was not quite setting a precedent – one of Queen Victoria’s daughters chose cremation in 1939 – but was said to reflect the princess’s longstanding wish. The princess’s ashes were taken back to the royal vault under the chapel at Windsor for interment near her father.
The princess died in her sleep in a London hospital, after suffering her third stroke the previous afternoon, following a long illness.
The details of the funeral service, devised in accordance with the princess’ wishes, following the traditional King James version of the rite, were given out, but the most that outsiders saw of the ceremony was the hearse making its way to Slough afterwards.
The royal family turned out in force: the Queen, dressed in black following a morning’s work at Buckingham Palace, arrived with the Duke of Edinburgh in the royal Rolls-Royce. Her children and grandchildren walked ot the chapel in a phalanx of black. Princess Margaret’s children, Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Chatto, arrived together, and her former husband, Lord Snowdon, was also present, as was Roddy Llewellyn.
The Queen Mother, frail but determined to be present at the age of 101, was driven up from her home at the Royal Lodge across Windsor great park and was escorted through a back entrance.
She was said to be quite well after many weeks secluded at Sandringham, the family’s Norfolk retreat, with a chest infection, and to have recovered from the hour-long helicopter flight on Thursday afternoon needed to get her to the funeral.
Others in the congregation included courtiers and friends, many from the world of the arts that the princess loved. They included the lazz artists Cleo Laine and her husband Johnny Dankworth. The music reflected the princess’s choice as well as royal obligations: Brahms’s second symphony and Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake together with the Last Post and a lament plated by a piper from the Royal Highland Fusiliers.
Afterwards the mourners retired to the castle for tea while the coffin was taken to a crematorium, accompanied only by the princess’s former private secretary and Lord Luce, the Lord Chamberlain, representing the Queen.
The Daimler hearse is arguably the world’s finest and most beautiful vehicle of its type. Every hearse is hand built and created to requirement.
Known as Britain’s oldest car manufacturers, Daimler was first associated with Royalty in 1898 when the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, was given a ride on a Daimler by John Douglas-Scott-Montagu later known as Lord Montagu of Beaulieu, Scott-Montagu, as a member of parliament, also drove a Daimler into the yard of the Palace of Westminster, the first motorised vehicle to be driven there.
In early 1900, Daimler had sold the Prince of Wales a mail phaeton. In 1902, upon buying another Daimler, King Edward VII awarded Daimler a royal warrant as suppliers of motor cars.
In 1903, Undecimus Stratton met E.G. Jenkinson, the chairman of Daimler, when Jenkinson’s Daimler was stranded by the roadside. Upon seeing the stranded motorist, Stratton stopped his Daimler and and offered assistance. Jenkinson was impressed by Stratton, and by his motoring knowledge.
At the time, Jenkinson was looking to replace the head of Daimler’s London depot, a particularly sensitive position because of the royal cars. Taking the position, Stratton soon found himself having to select a better royal chauffeurs and mechanics.
He quickly became an occasional motoring companion to the King. in 1908, through Stratton’s Royal connections, Daimler was awarded a ‘Royal Appointment as suppliers of motor cars to the Court of Spain’ by King Alfonso XIII and a Royal Warrant as ‘Motor Car Manufacturer to the Court of Prussia’ by Kaiser Wilhelm II. Stratton also sold Daimlers to the Sultan of Johor. In 1911 he spent some weekends at Sandringham tutoring the new Prince of Wales on the workings and driving of an automobile.
Every British monarch from Edward VII to Elizabeth II has been driven in Daimler limousines. Unofficial chauffeured transport is by Daimler. Her Majesty’s own car for person use is a 2008 Daimler Super Eight. In May 1960, the Daimler business was purchased from BSA by Jaguar Cars for 3.4 million pounds. William Lyons was looking to expand manufacture, wanted the manufacturing facilities and had to decide what to do with the existing Daimler Vehicles. Jaguar stated publicly that it would continue production of the existing range of Daimler, that it would continue normal research and development for future Daimler products, and that it would expand Daimler markets in Britain and overseas. In 1989 the Ford Motor Company paid £1.6 billion to buy Jaguar and with it, the right to use the Daimler name. Daimler remained the flagship Jaguar product in every country except the USA, where the top Jaguar is known as the XJ Vanden Plas.
Daimler’s centenary was celebrated in 1996 by the production of a special edition: 100 Double Six and 100 straight six cars, each with special paint and other special finishes including electrically adjustable rear seats.